Success! 7/13/2010

Success!  7/13/2010
Europe to Africa.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pitiable WEEK 9

I am SICK, AGAIN. And feeling sorry for myself...and wondering what the hell I am doing wrong! My right shoulder is bothering me...and I am coughing up my lungs all night long.
I am just glad that I still have a few weeks left to get my stamina back and my cold acclimatization. I hope it will be enough. Gone are my delusions of doing a two way crossing and I am just hoping that I will make Gibraltar. I don't know if I have trained stupidly, or just over did it, but I have reason to worry.
I still need to put away a 6 hour swim before the end of this month. And I don't have the energy. I am taking my cold seriously, and not rushing back to the water. I am waiting until I am DYING to get back in, not forcing myself to train. I hope that gives my shoulder and my lungs the time they need to get better.
My life is so hectic at the end of the school year, it is hard to focus on swimming. I am banking on the thought that the minute school is through, I will be able to redouble my efforts and get the job done. I hope it works. I would hate to have my dream unravel just through attrition. It makes me pause to think of an English Channel bid. I am learning what everyone who has done this already knows, the feat is 90% mental and the other half is physical. My mental training is taking a beating and my physical fitness is falling apart. Bummer. More sleep, better nutrition, and renewed effort. Next week, I will be back!

1 comment:


The Gibraltar Straits